The Brunel Museum is housed in the Pumphouse for The Thames Tunnel which was built in order to facilitate transport, and trade, from the north bank to the south bank of The Thames and it was designed as a foot tunnel and for horse-drawn transport. The Museum will be open during the Open Garden Squares Weekend, 18 and 19 June 2016 – do visit!
The Tower or Shaft was the original entrance to The Thames Tunnel which was the first tunnel under a river anywhere in the world. Work started in 1825 and was finally completed in 1843. Today the top of the Tower has been transformed into a garden which is the setting for botanical evening cocktails with The Midnight Apothecary using ingredients grown in the garden or foraged in the neighbourhood – Wow!
The Tower or Shaft was the original entrance to The Thames Tunnel and today it has been transformed into an underground Theatre with a busy programme of events.