‘…This award winning Victorian garden was originally laid out as part of the Edwardes Estate in the 1870s, and was well managed with an almost full-time gardener until 1939. However in the Second World War the handsome cast iron railings were taken away and five huge emergency water tanks filled the southern half of the garden. From the end of the War until the early 1970s it fell into disrepair, an overgrown area used as a dump and surrounded by green wire netting. In the mid 1970s the newly-formed Residents’ Association brought the garden under the 1851 Kensington Improvement Act. Landscape gardener and resident Christopher Fair designed the present layout…’.