The second cake for the concert on Sunday is Carrot Cake. The recipe is tried and tested, from Delia Smith’s Book of Cakes, and also published on the internet. I have made some small changes:
- Light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar
- 150 g plain flour, 50 g spelt flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder instead of wholemeal flour
- 100 g sultanas instead of 110 g
- Walnuts instead of pecan nuts
- I baked in a silicone mould, 21 cm across and 12 cm deep, for 60 minutes at 180C in a normal oven
- The covering is a lemon glace icing, with butter and cream which Delia Smith pairs with Iced Date and Walnut Cake in the book above
OK, here she is!
This is the same shape as the Ginger Cake, and I wonder if loaf shape would be more in character with Carrot Cake? What do you think? Re-reading Delia Smith I notice that she bakes in a loaf tin and bakes at a lower temperature for much longer. I can see another Carrot Cake for the next concert!
I hope your concert-goers realize how lucky they are!
Well, the concert-goers in this part of Suffolk didn’t take to the Carrot Cake! What a picky lot! They will eat Chocolate, Ginger, Coffee, Orange, Sponge (of course) – but not Carrot Cake!